Friday, May 20, 2011

Validation

All filmmakers have the same dream during the project they are working on (most of them, that is) and that is validation from the audience who sees it. I have dreamed that dream during the making of all of my films. But the finished product can wake you up abruptly (like rolling over and falling out of bed) when you finally get to hear what people say about it. Not all critiques have merit. In this time of faceless critics and Internet know-it-alls, everyone has an opinion and God knows, they aren't afraid to express it. But one thing speaks louder than all those critics rolled into one. And that is: live audience response.

Since the Chicago Premiere, it has been very obvious to me that I have a film concept with great potential. I have watched MANY a comedy in the theaters over my lifetime and it is very rare to hear as much laughter throughout the film as I have heard during the recent screenings of D.I.N.K.s, not to mention applause. Comedy is hard to write and I was afraid that the audience wouldn't laugh. At all! As D.I.N.K.s continues to entertain audiences in theaters, my fears have long been laid to rest. The laughter is my validation.

No comments:

Post a Comment